Welcome Back!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome Back!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

White list

Subwaycake
    Subwaycake

White list Empty White list

Post  Subwaycake Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 am

Yesterday I had a talk with Dragon about a white list.

The average age around here has not gone up, it more likely decreased. Our players treat the server like it is a playground, not like a community. They come online, fool around, they get bored, they whine about it to the admins, instead of finding solutions with the rest of the community. However we are not their playtoy. We don't have to host events to make it more fun and break our standards on our legitness (spawning animals or bosses and such). Passively we offer them our plugins and hosting and actively they should come up with ideas on how to enjoy themselves. This works in many servers, where the community is actually a community and not a playground.

I talked about this some of our staff. And we came to the conclusion, that a white list might work. It will be more work, but atleast people will have to read, in order to come online. Some will think it is too much work, we will have less players on our server, but those type of person are mostly the weaker link. They are the ones that just, want to come online and leave if they get bored only once or feel anger from pvp.

We will have to extend our advertising, Youtube is not enough. Aqua mentioned Facebook. I myself was thinking about forums like, Minecraft planet. Both good ideas in my opinion.

White list pros and cons:

Pros:
    • tighter community.
    • smarter community.
    • more serious.

Cons:
    • less players.
    • maybe a decrease in pvp fights.

So you took the time to read this all? This means I can count you in with the actual community. Tell me what you think. Do you think the value of community has decreased? Do you think we should white list or do you have a better idea.

redrooster9500
    redrooster9500

White list Empty Re: White list

Post  redrooster9500 Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 am

if we were to do this idea i would make is to so only the admins and mods can come on if we reset the world we would have time to make the spawn with our ant distractions. besides that no cause then we will lose out on the donators etc etc

Last edited by redrooster9500 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    redrooster9500
    redrooster9500

Post  redrooster9500 Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 am

also we would lose out on many people who would like to pvp. and make the server much to small.
    Subwaycake
    Subwaycake

Post  Subwaycake Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:46 am

@Redrooster

I think donators can be considered as community members. We can just add them to the whitelist straight away.

About the server becoming smaller, that probably is not avoidable. However the people that will leave, are probably the ones that see this server as a playground and not as an actual community. However if we make more ads, we will comprimise on our loss.
    redrooster9500
    redrooster9500

Post  redrooster9500 Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:57 am

i think we should just put it up for about 2 weeks so we can do things around the server then count it as lostboys opening!

Post  avatarfan888 Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 am

I do like the idea of a whitelist; while i'm not on much the players that are on are usually annoying immature. I usually play minecraft to unwind but little cretins who moan about a creeper killing them and want me to spawn sh*t back in annoy me.
    However as stated it'll stop people from coming on.

On a side note, I've been playing a TONNE of the Feed the Beast modpack launcher and i think it'd be great if a server could be setup with it (Mindcrack Modpack Very Happy) (this is sorta relevant as it could draw people in having a FTB server.
    redrooster9500
    redrooster9500

Post  redrooster9500 Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 am

ok me and drag said a no go on this idea instead for the next world there will only be 3 factions and to join them you will have to apply on the forums.

Post  avatarfan888 Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 am

when is the next world exactly? I can start playing on the server again when it does.
    Olyol95
    Olyol95
    Admin

Post  Olyol95 Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:01 am

The only issue I have with this is setting up a system whereby players can get onto the whitelist without human intervention, as I have neither the time or the patience to sit there and read applications and whitelist people all day.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 6:13 pm